7th Annual “Promising Beginnings” Christian Writers’ Contest
Because I believe in the power, impact, and influence of Christian writers’ conferences, I am holding a contest again this year in which the prize is a full scholarship to a conference.
This year, the winner will be given a choice between two options:
Full scholarship to the 2019 Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference, including meals and economy lodging
Full scholarship to the 2019 SoCal Christian Writers’ Conference, including meals and dorm lodging plus reimbursement of travel expenses (up to $300)
(Note: Not all details are on the websites yet. So check them in the coming weeks/months to find out more about it. You do not have to decide which conference you want to attend before you enter the contest.)
There is NO FEE to enter this contest. It is open to both published and unpublished writers, regardless of whether you’ve previously attended a writers’ conference.
- First five pages of an unpublished or self-published book manuscript
- (Does not have to be a completed manuscript.)
- (Do not send more than five pages, even if the last page ends in mid-sentence.)
- Fiction or nonfiction (any genre except poetry)
- For YA or adult readership (no children’s)
- Book does not need to be overtly Christian but must have a Judeo-Christian worldview
- Must be written in English (If foreign or fictional words are used, they need to be properly formatted and the meaning has to be understandable within the context.)
- Must follow the formatting guidelines below
- There is no limit to the number of entries that may be submitted, but each entry must be sent separately.
Deadline for submission is November 30, 2018.
(Entries received after midnight November 30 will not be considered.)
Submissions will be judged on how much promise is shown in the quality of the writing, including:
- intriguing opening “hook”
- appealing tone/style
- good flow/pace/smoothness
- clarity, ease of readability, tight writing
- application of professional writing techniques
- cleanness (without typos, inconsistencies, or errors in punctuation, usage, grammar, and spelling)
The winner of this contest will receive his or her choice of these two options:
- Full payment of conference registration, meals during the conference, and economy lodging (you may pay the difference to upgrade or add extras) for the Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference, held in the Santa Cruz Mountains near San Jose, California, April 12-16, 2019.
- Full scholarship to the SoCal Christian Writers’ Conference, held at Hope International University in Fullerton, California, June 20-22, 2019, including meals and multiple-occupancy dorm lodging (you may pay the difference to upgrade) plus reimbursement of travel expenses (domestic economy air fare or mileage, whichever is less, up to $300).
The winner will be notified by e-mail no later than January 15, 2019. After that, I will post an announcement on my blog with the winner’s name, the working title of the submission, and the information provided about genre and target readers’ age range. Entry in this contest indicates your permission for me to post this information.
Submissions must be formatted according to the following guidelines:
- All margins 1 inch
- Times New Roman 12-point font
- Double-space all text. Do not allow extra space between paragraphs. (Take out automatic paragraph spacing.)
- Using the header feature, all pages should have your first and last name (real name, not pen name), followed by a slash, then your e-mail address, all flush left, and a running page number in the right corner.
- At the top of the first page, type the working title of your book in ALL CAPS. If you have a subtitle, type that in Initial Caps on the next line. After skipping one line, type your name (pen name, if you use one). After skipping another line, type “Chapter 1” (or “Chapter One” or “Prologue”). On the next line, put the chapter title (if it has one). This should all be centered (without left indent). Skip one more line, then start the text.
- For all other text, use left alignment. (Leave right margin “ragged.”)
- Indent the first line of each paragraph ½ inch (using automatic indentation, not tabs).
Save the file as a Word document. The filename should be your first and last name, then an underscore (_), then the working title of your entry. (If the title is long, just the first few words.)
E-mail your entry to me, Kathy Ide, as an attachment. (If you don’t have my e-mail address, use the Contact page of my website, http://kathyide.com/contact-me, to request my e-mail address.)
Put “Promising Beginnings Contest” in the subject line of your e-mail, followed by your first and last name. In the body of the e-mail, please include:
Where you live (city & state or country)
Working title of the manuscript
Target readers’ age range
How you heard about this contest
Which conference you want to attend (if both, list order of preference)
To give your entry the best chance of winning, you may want to consider having your writing professionally critiqued, edited, and/or proofread. (NOTE: This is only a suggestion; it is not a requirement for submission to the contest.)
To find a high-quality Christian editor, feel free to check out the Christian Editor Connection, www.ChristianEditor.com, and fill out the form for Authors Seeking Editors.
If you would like to contribute to this contest, please let me know.
I would love to be able to offer more than just one scholarship!
NOTE: The Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference offers its own contest—separate from this one. The First-Timers Contest is open to anyone who has never attended the Mount Hermon writers conference. Ten winners will each receive a full scholarship to the main conference, including meals and economy double-occupancy lodging. (Winners may upgrade lodging or add pre-conference or a mentoring clinic at their own cost.) For details and guidelines on that contest, visit http://writers.mounthermon.org/registration/first-timers-contest.
September 30, 2018 @ 7:01 pm
Wow! What a blessing. Thank you for creating this opportunity for those just starting out. Are Canadian writers open to enter?
October 1, 2018 @ 1:13 pm
There are no geographical restrictions on the contest. You’d just have to cover your travel expenses (all for Mount Hermon, anything that’s over the cap for SoCal).
October 2, 2018 @ 6:14 pm
I was so excited to see that you’d posted this! Thank you so much for this opportunity, Kathy, it’s incredibly generous of you. I’ll definitely be entering :).
October 26, 2018 @ 11:57 am
I’m very excited.
Nervous that this may be serendipitous. God, if this is to align to Your Will, may I surrender to the process.
October 31, 2018 @ 5:26 pm
Kathy what a sweet blessing! Thank you so much for offering this fabulous opportunity.
November 20, 2018 @ 12:52 pm
Have you been adversely affected by the fires? I live in Chicago and am not acquainted with the status around the Santa Cruz Mountains near San Jose, California or Hope International University in Fullerton, California, J. Hermon.
November 26, 2018 @ 4:34 pm
Thanks for your concern. Fortunately, I am not near the fires. Many people at Mount Hermon (near Santa Cruz) knew people who lost homes and even lives. Prayers are always appreciated.
January 22, 2019 @ 8:44 am
When is the next opportunity for this open? I would love to enter it. I have some of my book written.
January 22, 2019 @ 8:50 am
I announce it on my blog in the fall.