I am pleased to offer personal tutoring for those who:
- are considering getting into the field of editorial freelancing
- have already started freelancing but wish to improve their skills
- have been freelancing for a while but wish to expand their business
STEP ONE: ASSESSMENT
We’ll start with some in-depth e-mail discussions regarding such topics as:
• where you’re at in your editorial freelance career
• what types of jobs you want to get
• what kinds of clients you want to work for
• what sorts of writing you want to edit
• what levels of editing you believe you’re qualified to offer
• what you’ve already done that has worked (and what hasn’t)
• what you’re looking for in this mentoring relationship
Based on these discussions, I will provide my personal recommendations for specific steps you can take, considering where you are and where you want to be. Cost: $100 (up to 2 hours)
STEP TWO: MARKETING ASSISTANCE
You may send me any promotional materials you have or form letters you use with clients, and I will proofread, edit, and offer suggestions for improvement.
I can also proofread, edit, and provide recommendations for improving your website. Cost: $50/hour.
STEP THREE: SAMPLE SUBMISSIONS
You send me something you’ve proofread and/or edited. (This can be something you’ve been paid to edit, but it doesn’t have to be. I can work with any file you’ve already done some proofreading or editing on.) I will look it over to see what you may have missed, or to comment on anything you wrote that could potentially be misunderstood or misinterpreted by the client. Then I’ll send it back to you with my suggestions for improvement. Cost: $45/hour.
You may send submissions via mail or e-mail. Send as many pages as you wish as often as you wish, until you feel comfortable and confident in your editing abilities.
There are two levels of instruction you can choose from for your submissions:
1. Overall Critique. I will look over your edits and, on a separate sheet of paper (or electronic file), offer general suggestions for how I think you could improve.
2. In-Depth Edit. I will mark my corrections and suggestions on the pages (or in the file) of the edited manuscript you send me.
I look forward to working with you on a personal, one-on-one basis to improve your editing skills and enhance your freelance editorial business. I have learned a lot from other professionals along the way, and I enjoy being able to “pay it forward.”